Serves: 24Prep Time: 40 minTotal Time: 60 min
These Avocado Loaded Potato skins from Chef Stuart O’Keeffe are a delicious and healthy twist on a family favourite!
- 1 bag (10 oz.) Welch’s Frozen Avocados, thawed
- 3/4 cup husked, rinsed and chopped tomatillos
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 2-1/4 tbsp. lime juice
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chipotle chilli powder
- 1 can (15-oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cups fresh prepared pico de gallo (tomatoes, onions)
- 24 potato skins or 12 small baking potatoes
- 8 ounces grilled chicken breast strips, diced
- 48 cilantro sprigs
To Thaw: Place avocados on a plate at room temperature for approximately 60 minutes or microwave* at 20-second intervals until thawed. For best flavor and texture, serve while still slightly frozen. *As microwaves vary, time may need to be adjusted. Keep frozen, do not refreeze.
For the potato skins, you can purchase your favourite brand of frozen potato skins or:
- Preheat oven to 400ᴼ F.
- Using a fork, pierce potatoes all around, about 6 to 8 times. Rub potatoes with olive oil, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt, and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour until tender inside and crisp on the outside.
- Remove potatoes from the oven and set aside until they are cool enough to handle. Cut them in half lengthwise and carefully scoop out the cooked potato, leaving a 1/4-inch wall all around.
- Fry potato skins until golden brown, drain on paper towels
- To fill and serve the skins
- Place avocado, tomatillos, onion, cilantro and jalapeño in a food processor. Add lime juice and mix together until smooth. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine beans, salt, vegetable oil and chilli powder and mash until smooth.
- Combine diced chicken and pico de gallo in a small bowl. Season chicken mixture to taste with lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Arrange potato skins on plates. Top with beans, chicken mixture and guacamole. Place 1 sprig of cilantro on top of each potato skin.
If you like this recipe, you’ll love these!